The articles which follow describe the processes used in creating audio files for web delivery for the FARNE project.
In creating the audio files the following steps were taken:
- Playing the original tapes using an AKAI GX 4000DB tape deck
- Digitizing the analogue signal using soundMAX integrated digital audio
- Reducing the background noise using fft filters
- Editing using Cool Edit Pro
- Creation of Mp3 files
- Encoding for the Internet using RealNetworks Helix Producer plus 9
In the six articles, listed below, each of these processes is described in detail.
N.B. Cool edit Pro
as refered to in the articles is no longer available. The software was acquired by Adobe Systems Incorporated, from it's original developers Syntrillium Software, in May 2003. The software has been repackaged and is now sold as Adobe® Audition™
. This is essentially the same complete multi-track recording studio and digital signal processing software for Windows®-based PCs, redesigned so that it can be integrated as part of Adobes impressive Audio/Video range (Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects, etc). The wide range of filters remains the same. All processes described in the following articles can be achieved using the upgraded software.